Friday, November 22, 2013

Digital Sabbatical (don't worry, just a week!)



It's time for my annual Digital Sabbatical week. 

Time to log off, shut down, and try to break myself of the 6am-checking-email habit! 

I take a Digital Sabbatical every year (I'm capitalizing it in the hopes it becomes an official week someday ;) to recharge. To be clear, I'm NOT taking a Digital Sabbatical because I'm "sick of the internet" or "am far too connected all the time." In fact, I love social media, I love being connected all the time, and thank the universe pretty much daily that I'm living in this time of history where we're on the digital frontier. 

So, why log off for a week? Why now?

1) It's a vacation week or partial week for those of us in the United States due to the Thanksgiving Day holiday. My husband's from the birthplace of Thanksgiving (Plymouth, MA) so you're right if you're thinking that Thanksgiving is a BIG DEAL in our family.

2) December is a busy busy social month, and I can't wait to be connecting with friends and family across town and across the globe to celebrate, and social media makes that even more fun, so December is definitely a time I want to be online.

3) A week is about how long I need to recharge my social batteries and prep for some great social media and blogging stuff I'm planning for the new year! 

What does a Digital Sabbatical mean to me?  

  • No blogging
  • No Facebook
  • No Twitter
  • No email

What will I be doing instead?
  • Catching up on my reading! I love to read (and am a wicked fast reader) and I've got a backlog to catch up on. From some advanced readers copies via LibraryThing Early Reviewers to Without Their Permission by Alexis Ohanian...and lots and lots of novels.
  • Enjoying the outside more! Time to head out and see more of the sights before the snow really starts flying
  • Yes, I will be Christmas shopping
  • Spending time with family
  • Thinking up my "big ideas" and goals for what I want to accomplish in 2014
See you back online the week after next! 

No comments: